There are many debates regarding fasting. 50% believe it, and 50% don’t. So what is fasting actually? Fasting can mean different things to different people, it brings different kind of value as well.
For the Christians, fasting is essentially giving up food (or something else) for a period of time in order to focus your thoughts on God. While fasting, many people read the Bible, pray, or worship. Fasting is found throughout the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, over fifty times.
For medical reasons, before a full medical check-up or before a big surgery, patient will need to fast. General anesthesia relaxes the muscles in your digestive tract and airway that keep food and acid from passing from your stomach into your lungs. Fasting is usually necessary starting about six hours before your surgery.
In general, most types of fasts are performed over 24–72 hours. Intermittent fasting, on the other hand, involves cycling between periods of eating and fasting, ranging from a few hours to a few days at a time. Fasting has been shown to have many health benefits, from increased weight loss to better brain function.
Some of the benefits of fasting are:
- It improve blood sugar control, which brings wonderful benefits to those especially at risk of diabetes. Intermittent fasting and alternate-day fasting could help decrease blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance but may affect men and women differently.
- Some studies have found that fasting could decrease several markers of inflammation and may be useful in treating inflammatory conditions, such as multiple sclerosis.
- Fasting has been associated with a lower risk of coronary heart disease and may help lower blood pressure, triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
- Fasting could improve brain function, increase nerve cell synthesis and protect against neurodegenerative conditions, such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s.
- Fasting may increase metabolism and help preserve muscle tissue to reduce body weight and body fat.
- Studies show that fasting can increase levels of human growth hormone (HGH), an important protein hormone that plays a role in growth, metabolism, weight loss and muscle strength.
- Animal studies have found that fasting could delay aging and increase longevity, but human research is still lacking.
- Some animal and test-tube studies suggest that fasting could block tumor development and increase the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
There are many different ways to practice fasting, which makes it easy to find a method that fits into just about any lifestyle. Experiment with different types to find what works best for you. Despite the long list of possible health benefits associated with fasting, it may not be right for everyone. Make sure to consult your doctor before proceeding with any of these fasting methods.
Some of the most common types of fasting:
- Water fasting: Drinking only water for a set amount of time.
- Juice fasting: Entails only drinking vegetable or fruit smoothie or juice for a certain period.
- Intermittent fasting: Intake is partially or completely restricted for a few hours up to a few days at a time and a normal diet is resumed on other days.
- Partial fasting: Certain foods or drinks such as processed foods, animal products or caffeine are eliminated from the diet for a set period.
- Calorie restriction: Calories are restricted for a few days every week.
When fasting, be sure to stay hydrated, eat nutrient-dense foods and get plenty of rest. It’s best to consult with your doctor before fasting if you have any underlying health conditions or are planning to fast for more than 24 hours.
If the thought of fasting is unbearable, no worries, Shaklee can help you with that and make sure you are able to go through your fasting ritual.
By consuming Cinch or Energizing Soy Protein (mixed with kurma) can help you feel full longer without having to consume solid food. And if you hate the feeling of weakness and sluggishness during fasting, you can consume Shaklee Vita-Lea to keep you alert, focused and energized throughout the day without fail!
Need more info? No worries, Mommy J can have a 1 to 1 consultation with you for free! Contact Mommy J and don’t miss out on Shaklee product deals!
Fast Track Car Bonus Achiever
Facebook: Jeslynn Seow